mercoledì 11 febbraio 2009

OPEN LETTER TO MICHEL CHION


Dear Mr Chion,
I am an Italian student. I am writing my thesis about the use of music in contrast with the image in movies.
I read your interesting books "Stanley kubrick:L'umano ne più ne meno" and "L'audiovisione, suono ed immagine nel cinema".
I am writing to you in order to solve a doubt about the meaning of "anempathic effect".
For instance, do you consider the music in "ClockWork Orange"("Singin' in the rain", "Gazza ladra..") an example of anempathic effect?
My professor states this because he considers your concept of anempathy in a wide way including not only an effect of indifference but even a contrast one.
According to this view, my professor considers Ejzenštejn "counterpoint" liken to anempathy. Vincenzo Ramaglia instead, in "Il suono e l'immagine", views the concepts of
counterpoint and anempathy as antithetical, as in the former the music depends on the image (paradoxically like empathy..), and in the latter the music is independent from the image.
I hope my question is enough clear.
I look forward to hearing your answer.
Thanks a lot.
Best regards.
Francesco Spè

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento